Bet you’re thinking, “not another Christian weight loss study!” I know. Me too. I have to be frank, I never had to deal with the whole “weight loss struggle” until about 6 years ago when I turned 45 and menopause took over. Ugh!
All of a sudden, I couldn’t just eat whatever I wanted and not expect that I would gain any weight. I was that girl that could eat anything and wish I could put on a few pounds! Now I find myself overweight from what my personal goal should be because I’m a confessed “foodie”.
This personal growth bible study is not to bash myself or anyone else regarding weight gain or loss for that matter. But it’s to those who are struggling with food issues that have become a best friend or enemy, hole filler, stress reliever, addiction or reward of some sort, and need help.
Food is not your enemy
I also wanted to share Gods word on the matter, because He never meant for food to become a stronghold over us, but merely nutrition for our bodies. However, Satan will use something as simple as food, to control our minds and ultimately our bodies. Food is not our enemy, but excessive eating or non-eating can and will kill us!
If you’re currently struggling with weight as I am, I want you to know that God sees and understands! I’ve had to come to terms with the realization that I too have food issues. But I have decided that it’s not going to control me anymore. 🙂
Raise your hand if you’re sick and tired of being sick and tired of this struggle?! That’s the mindset you need to have. If not, you’ll continue to have this problem. But Praise God! He’s got us!
How do I start?
The first step is to renew your mind. Decide that God is the key source in fulfilling what ever need that food is replacing in your life! This personal growth bible study will ask those questions to uncover why, when or how food is used in your life.
“Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” Romans 12:2
Then I will provide key scripture in Gods word to help you overcome those issues! It’s not going to be easy, but we can do anything with God’s help and Spirit…
If you’re new to my personal growth bible studies, they are super-simple guides for those with busy lives, to defeat personal strongholds and problems with Gods word!
All you’ll need is a bible or bible app, journal notebook and pen to jot down your answers to the questions with an open heart to learn! I will also offer a freebie below to download as your convenient keepsake reminder.
Please note: I’m not a nutrition/weight loss expert, doctor or psychologist and would advise to discuss issues like this with your physician if needed. I also advise against making abrupt changes to your bodies mentally or physically against doctors orders or recommendations. Pray to God asking him for direction and guidance before you begin.
Now if you’re ready for change – Won’t you join me? If so, let’s get started!
Why, when and how food fills your void
- Think of times when you went to food to fill a void. Choose one or more significant times in your life where you felt food was there when no one else was. Write them down.
- Why do you believe you looked to food to fill this or these voids?
- When you ate did you feel satisfied, happy or depressed? Why? How long did this feeling(s) last?
- Read Ecclesiastes 6:7. What does this verse mean to you? Explain.
- Is food used for nutrition, pleasure or punishment in your home currently or in the past? Name all that apply.
- Do you currently suffer from over-eating or under-eating?
- Read James 5:5. Do you believe you have a food addiction?
- Name times when you felt driven to food for comfort, help or support. What tempted you? Now Read 1 Corinthians 10:13
- Food and feasting is seen in the Bible quite a bit. Why do you believe God references feasting 240 times in his word? Read some of these scriptures then explain.
- Do you have a distorted self-image of yourself when you look in the mirror? Are you ever satisfied with your appearance?
Help for weight loss and addictive struggles
- Read 2 Corinthians 2:14 How can you allow God to lead you instead of food?
- Read 1 John 5:4 What reassurance does God give you in this passage?
- Read 8:37 Why should you not allow food or addiction to take over your life?
- Read 1 John 2:14 God’s given you strength and power over Satan! Why?
- Read John 16:33 Why does Jesus tell us not to worry, but to have peace?
- Read 2 Corinthians 5:10 What must we all do before God one day?
- Read Hebrews 2:18 How can Jesus relate to your struggle?
- Read James 4:7 Why should you submit your life and struggles to God on a daily basis?
- What can you thank God for today?